Riding through the Kingdom of Thailand is fun, eye-opening and relaxing on all the different levels of the psyche and soul. There’re so much amazing natural beauty, culture, food, hospitality and freedom to experience.


Being connected to Malaysia and Singapore, the country is also the gateway for motorcyclists of the two nations to other Southeast Asian countries and greater Asia, if not all the way to the European continent.


The months of March and April mark the height of the “Touring Season” for Malaysia motorcyclists to ride into Thailand.


It’s not difficult for Malaysians (or any other nationalities, for that matter) to ride into the Kingdom, however, one needs to prepare the necessary documents for a smooth entry. Failure to comply would invariably result in being turned back.


The majority of riders who ride in are Malaysians and Singaporeans, so we’ll keep it simple by referring to just Malaysians. Remember, the requirements are similar across the board.


  1. Malaysian International Passport. It has to be valid for at least six more months from the date you enter Thailand. Malaysians and other ASEAN nationalities are exempted from applying for a tourist Visa. You may check for Visa requirements here: http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-tourist-visa.php



  1. Valid driving license. Although the Thais do not view it at the border, it’s still a no brainer that you should always have it with you. It’s best to apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP) from the Malaysian Road Transport Department or Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM). It costs MYR 150 ($ 38.28 at the present rate) and is valid for 12 months.


  1. The motorcycle’s road tax. A photocopy is acceptable, as long as it’s still valid.


  1. The motorcycle’s vehicle ownership certificate (VOC). It’s the document issued by the RTD when a vehicle is registered to an owner. It’s straightforward if you own the bike, otherwise you’d need to work a little extra if you don’t.



4(a). If you’re serving the motorcycle’s loan with a financial institution or motorcycle shop, temporary ownership lies with them. Should this be the case, you’d need to obtain a copy of the VOC and two additional documents.


4(a)(i). A letter authorizing you to ride the motorcycle into Thailand. It must include your full name and NRIC/passport number, besides the full name, NRIC number, position, contact number and signature of the person who authorized you.


4(a)(ii). Since the bike is “owned” by a corporation, the finance institution is also required to produce the Form 49, which details the company’s register of directors, managers and secretaries. Certain companies are reluctant in furnishing you with this information, but there’s no other way around it. You will not be able to obtain a third-party insurance cover for your trip.


4(b). If the motorcycle you’re riding in is owned by your acquaintance, then he would have to produce a letter authorizing you, detailing your full name and NRIC/passport number, besides his full name, NRIC/passport number, contact number and signature.


4(b)(i). A copy of your buddy’s NRIC or passport.


4(b)(ii). There’s no requirement for the Form 49 if your friend isn’t serving the loan.


Look out for Part 2 of this Thai riding adventure....

Back to blog